Summer Camp Naturalist
Post Date: April 12, 2016
Start Date: May 23, 2016
Salary: Pay per program, available upon request
Status: Both Part-time (up to 20 hours/week) and Full-time (up to 40 hours/week)
About Tree Frog Treks
Tree Frog Treks is a mobile science education company based in San Francisco. We offer a variety of school and community programs designed to make science fun, connect kids with nature, and exercise imaginations of all ages. We endeavor to help children develop better retention skills, an enthusiasm for learning and a greater appreciation of the wonderful world around us. We use contact with live reptiles and amphibians to excite students about science and draw them into a fun, hands-on curriculum.
Summary of Role
This is an outdoor education position for summer camp programs taking place in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. (We also run camps at Precita Park and McLaren park, if you are interested in a different location)
Teachers will lead groups of 10 -- 20 campers in activities around the park and on field trips outside of San Francisco. Teachers will also facilitate live reptile and amphibian experiences to excite students about science and draw them into our fun, hands-on curriculum.
We are currently hiring naturalists for both our half-day camp and our full-day camp.
- Half-Day camp has campers 4-5 years old, and runs from 8am - 1pm, Monday -- Friday.
- Full-Day camps has campers aged 1st-5th grade, and runs from 8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday.
Each Group will have two instructors creating approximately a 1:8 teacher to camper ratio. Teachers will have freedom within the student-directed curriculum to inspire and guide campers into discovery.
- Bachelors Degree in Biology or related field.
- Teaching experience, preferably in a classroom or outdoor classroom setting.
- Must arrive on time each morning to the 14th Ave East Meadow in Golden Gate Park.
- Current CPR / First Aid Certification
- Must pass TB test and fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice.
- Must be able to maintain constant positive attitude and enthusiasm. Passion for working with youth is a must.
Description of Responsibilities
* Lesson Planning
- Implement Tree Frog Treks curricula and activities, while building on campers' interests.
- Be flexible throughout daily curriculum and allow for discovery.
* Science Enrichment Education
- Share knowledge of local Bay Area plants and animals with our campers.
- Facilitate hands-on, creative learning in an outdoor environment.
- Bring creativity and innovative thinking to the program while also adhering to the structured program model.
- Manage groups of 10-20 students, with an co-teacher.
- Create a positive learning environment to ensure that students meet Tree Frog Treks education expectations.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively in Tree Frog Treks meetings.
- Participate in collaborative curriculum trainings.
Interested? Please send us your resume, cover letter, and application by email or mail:
Tree Frog Treks
Attn: Erin Dal Ferro 2112 Hayes St.
San Francisco, CA 94117